March 18, 2013

Deja Vu

I was pretty sure Punxatawny Phil had come and gone this year, but it seems that I was wrong! I had chemo treatment number eight a few days ago and the exact same side effects popped up like a bad penny. So precise that I ended up with the same mouth sore on my tongue in the very same spot!

According to the American Cancer Society, Paclitaxel (Taxol) is an extremely potent chemotherapy drug, often producing a number of side effects in patients. Side effects include severe allergic reactions, cardiovascular problems, infections developing from white blood cell deficiencies, complete hair loss, joint and muscle pain, irritation at the injection site, low red blood cell count, mouth or lip sores, numbness or burning in the hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy), and stomach upset.

While medications designed to prevent or treat nausea, vomiting and decreased white blood cell counts are available, there are currently no treatments for other serious taxane-induced side effects, particularly nerve damage.

That makes me a little nervous. The peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet is back in full force. It never went away between treatments, but seemed to improve. I hope that any nerve damage rights itself in time when all my treatments are done. I hope it is not permanent!

Right now, I am battling the muscle and joint pains with prescription pain medication. It literally hurts from head to toe! When I woke up this morning, the muscles near my ears even hurt. I have shooting pains my back and stomach muscles as well as my down my legs and into my ankles. The pills help as long as I stay on top of it and don't let them wear off (which I usually do)!

I'm looking forward to feeling better in a few days and enjoying that normal time again before I hit the "repeat" button two more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment