September 18, 2012

"Forget Cancer, Have a Nice Root Canal!"

As I went to bed Sunday night, I thought about everything that had to be done the next few days. A trip to the cancer center was on the calendar for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (not to mention other things). Unfortunately, I did not factor in an emergency root canal.

I had a toothache on Sunday, but didn't think too much of it. Until, that is, it woke me up three times during the night. At four in the morning my face was throbbing. I got up to take Advil and still couldn't sleep. I was worried because I knew I was facing my first chemo treatment on Wednesday and dental procedures are highly discouraged during chemo. I knew I didn't have time to play the game of wait and see. I called my dentist at 4:30 in the morning and left a message explaining my situation.

I went in as soon as my appointment at the cancer center was done. The X-ray was compared to the last time I was there (not that long ago because I always have my regular cleanings). At that time, he marked it as a place to "watch." The dentist took one look at the two X-rays and said "Wow, that got bad fast!" He looked at his watch (11:30) and said he would work through lunch because I needed a root canal right now! I didn't even have time to get nervous! He worked on me for an hour and a half, put a temp filling in and I go back in today for him to finish the procedure. That will be after my pre-chemo lab work and appointment with my oncologist, of course.

I guess I had seen so many doctors lately, the dentist was feeling left out! Do I have bad luck or what?! Here is the upside: it was caught and acted on quickly before it became an infection and before chemo started! It seems like every time something "bad" happens there has been the silver lining of God at work. His timing is perfect, even during less than perfect circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. During my cancer treatments I had enough doctors tending to me that I could field a basketball team complete with substitues! I had my regular doctor, my ear nose and throat doctor, my oncologist, my radiation oncologist, my dentist, and my eye doctor. Let's not forget that they all had family nurse practitioners who had to see me, too. Just don't forget that your most important task during chemo is take care of one person- you. Let Kent and family and friends handle everything else. Make sure that you eat and drink plenty of fluids to keep your strength up and stay hydrated. You may not feel like it but it is very important that you do that. I don't mean to sound preachy but I like helping people who are facing chemo to avoid the pitfalls that I fell in to while I was going through it. Take care. Kevin Trahin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin! I sucked down 80 oz. of fluid today and I'm bloated for that! But, I did the "fluid push" and that is supposed to be a good thing.

      Delete
  2. God's timing is always perfect. It is wonderful that you can see how good He is in all things. We must turn everything over to Him. Take care of yourself. Praying for you, Valerie

    ReplyDelete