July 12, 2012

"I do not have good news"

Breast cancer at age 38 was not on my "to do" list. My plan was to save all major health issues for when I got older. I would have more time, no children in the house, fewer responsibilities, and...(wait)...yep, I think I just heard God laugh at my plan. I was far from laughing two and a half weeks ago when the doctor called and said "I do not have good news." I didn't really have to hear more. I knew what that meant.

I was having pain in my right breast on and off for a few weeks. I knew it was nothing and that going to the doctor about it would be just downright silly, but I finally decided to check it out anyway. She felt a lump. She called it a grape and had me feel it too. I still wasn't worried. After all, she didn't seem worried and told me not to "freak out." She ordered a diagnostic mammogram and I sighed inside (because I really thought I could avoid the big squish for two more years)! While I was bemoaning the mammogram (in my head) she explained that a biopsy could come next, but even still that was nothing to "freak out" about. The last thing she said was "if it is breast cancer, then you have a free pass to freak out!"  Honestly, who really thought that was going to happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment