July 19, 2012

"Cancer: Kind of like Head Lice?"

After dinner the other day, we talked to our 9-year-old daughter about what might be happening to Mommy soon. We decided to feed it to her in child size chunks. I asked her if she had ever heard the word "cancer" and she said said "yes, that is contagious." We explained that is it not and then told her about my breast cancer. She then decided it was a bug. We told her it was just a bad part that had to be taken out, just like when I had my gallbladder out recently (which she remembers). 

Her eyes suddenly lit up and then she said "Oh, is this when your hair falls out?" We weren't going to get into a discussion about anything beyond surgery at this point, so we weren't sure what to say. Luckily, she snapped her fingers, rolled her eyes, and laughingly said "Oh, never mind, that's when you have head lice." Yeah, that must be it!

The next morning she came into my room when she woke up. "Good morning Mommy, how is your breast cancer today?" I responded "It's just fine." Thank goodness it isn't head lice!

2 comments:

  1. Kids can be so funny!! And laughter is good for the soul.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I wish I had kept an entire book of all the funny things she has said over the years! I wish adults could think the way kids do sometimes!

      Delete