August 7, 2012

"The Pit of Self-Pity"

Have you ever seen the pit of self-pity? Well, if you stand on the edge, squint your eyes and take a look down there you might notice that it is dark, dirty and has slimy sides. The slimy sides make it really hard to climb out of in case you should fall in. That's why I am doing everything I can to make sure I don't lose my footing and journey down that slippery slope!

I am combating the pit of self-pity with a support book. Early on, I was afraid that I might forget about all the people who love me and are praying for me. What if I wake up one morning and decide that nobody cares and start the slide? I am determined not to do that!

In case my short-term memory needs a boost, I bought a notebook. Yep, just the plain old back-to-school kind. I keep a log of every person who has touched me in a supportive way. I list the date, the person's name and what they did (whether it was send an e-mail, a supportive message on Facebook, a private message on Facebook, a card in the mail, flowers, gift, phone call or even a phone message)! It all counts! I also bought an expandable folder to hold any cards that I might receive so I can easily look at them. Now I am equipped to fight back just in case my mind tries to be sneaky and pull me over to the edge of that old pit. I won't fall in. I will grab my book and remember exactly why that pit is not the place for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment