August 1, 2012

"Role Reversal"

Mom used to clean, cook and do the laundry when I was growing up in her house. She has continued that trend even without me there! However, when she comes to my house and does those things it feels weird!

It happened the first time almost one year ago when my second baby was born. We don't have any family in the area and we tried to work her time off around our best guess of actual birth. So, the baby came about a week before she got here. I called and told her to please hurry because I was floundering! SOS!

The very next month (thanks to that precious baby) I had to have my gallbladder removed (don't worry Jayce, I won't hold the gallstones against you)! She came back for a few days to watch the newborn and help around the house after my surgery.

So, I feel odd having to need her in this role again! You'd think I'd be the one needed to take care of her during some ailment instead! This seems backwards! Not that I think of her as "old" because I don't, but I don't think I am either! So what's the deal!

I don't really know, but I do know that I am thankful she and Dad are here today. I hope it is the last time they come for this type of reason. I want to go back to planning meals and cooking for them and taking them to fun places in town. While I'm glad Mom is here to go with me to a pre-op appointment today, I do not count hanging out at the cancer center as a visit to a "fun place in town!" Well, unless we get a chance to drop by the gift shop!

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer - Praying for your surgery today! I'll be praying for the doctors, nurses and everyone that comes in contact with you.
    So glad that your Mom can be there with you. Tugs at my heart strings as my mother is no longer here. I'm thankful you still have yours to walk through this difficult time with you. Your attitude and humor on this blog amazes me. Thinking and praying for you! Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cassie! You are as sweet as I always remember you being and I'm sure your Mom would be proud! She was always a sweet lady too. I appreciate your prayers and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete