August 26, 2012

"Clinical Trial Guinea Pig"

Clinical trials make me think of lab rats and last resorts for patients with no other options. I've come to learn that many clinical trials are not like that at all. However, it doesn't mean I want to be a guinea pig!

My cancer center is trying to recruit me into a chemotherapy clinical trial. It was confusing at first, but what I understand is that they are trying to determine best outcomes between two already well-known standard treatments. The trial is only for women with "high risk" cancer (aggressive variety like mine) and are Her2 negative (which I am).

While I understand the point of such research and support it. I'm not sure it is right for me. Participants are "randomized" into two different groups. So, the trial (not the doctor) decides exactly which treatment is given. While I have been assured that either treatment would be "gold standard" for me, I still feel apprehensive.

I understand that altruism is defined as the opposite of selfishness. I am interested in the future welfare of others and I do not want to be selfish. However, since this is MY fight against breast cancer, I feel strongly that I'd like the doctor to be the one to decide exactly what chemo treatment is right for me (not a computer). So, I struggle to decide because I feel the pull in both directions.

1 comment:

  1. Go with your feelings. Deep inside you do know whats best for you, your family and your future. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete