August 2, 2012

"Kill the Cancer, Step 1"

It's finally time to start killing the cancer! I wish I felt more excited about it. It's surgery day! See, that doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "It's free pizza day!" Oh, don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get cancer out of my body (of course, free pizza would be nice too).

I will start the day at 7:45 a.m. (quite late in the medical world!) at the cancer center where they will do a pre-op procedure called "needle localization." They tell me it is much like a biopsy. The idea is to put a long, thin needle into the breast and stab that tumor so the surgeon has a nice guide to the spot on which to operate. Then, they will kindly tape down the part sticking out as I make my way over to the hospital for the surgery.

The actual surgery is supposed to take place at 10:30 a.m., but I'll be busy doing all those fun little things they do to get you ready! I can't wait to get the paper gown! I'm even more excited about the I.V. (okay, okay, I know I keep whining about this).

Once surgery is underway, they will do a sentinel node biopsy (remove some nodes to check for cancer spread into the lymph nodes), then remove the actual tumor and surrounding normal tissue, and while we are at it she is going to install a chest port to be used for my Chemo. All in all, it sounds like...well, to be honest it sounds like what has been keeping me up at night. So, I can't wait for this day to be over! I also don't want it to be over because that means I have to recover and move to the next treatment phase (which I also lose sleep over). Just being honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment