August 10, 2012

"Prepare for New Hair"

Since I am healing from surgery and Chemotherapy looms, I decided to be proactive and start taking a look at wigs. I want to be ready when my G.I. Jane moment comes. My Mom and I stopped by the cancer center gift shop to ask for ideas about where to look for a good wig. We were told by the nice lady volunteer that we had to look no further than right where we stood. I looked around and saw about five wigs on styrofoam heads, lots of hats and little gift items and sighed inside.

We followed her supervisor to a door that said "fitting room" and went inside. It was like an entire private wig shop! I've certainly never seen so many styrofoam heads in one place! I told the lady I wasn't ready to do all this right now, I just wanted to get ideas. She responded by asking if I lived in Boone County. I said I did and thought it was a strange question. Then I was blessed! She happily informed me that they have a grant from the Komen Foundation that allows them to give any Boone County resident with breast cancer a FREE wig and supplies! I was floored! What a wonderful gift. Just one more financial piece of the puzzle that we don't have to worry about!

So we went to work on finding the new hair that was "me." It turned out I liked the first one I tried, we just worked our way through some different colors until I knew we had the right one. It really looks amazing! She took my soon-to-be new hair, the super important foam head, the supply kit (did you know they even make wig hairspray?), and a wig brush and bagged it all up. I walked out with nearly $200 worth of stuff that will make me feel better about myself in the weeks to come and I learned that Komen is more than just pink ribbons.

2 comments:

  1. HiJennifer..
    I just came across your blog. I am sorry that you have joined this club no one wants to join. But you will find throughout the blogging community of women who have gone through it or currently having treatment you will have amazing support throughout these roads you are about to travel. Very correct be proactive ask questions if you are not happy with the answer talk to your Dr. or get a second opinion. I'm in my 4th year. I was diagnosed Stage 3 Grade 3 Multi-focal Breast Cancer with Lymph node involvement . You have good days and not so good days. Keep ginger tea on hand it will help if you feel nausea..
    I didn't wear a wig I opted for the bald look, it was a hot summer in 2009.. scarves were great..I will add you to my blog List please feel free come visit...If you need anything we are a link away....
    Love Alli xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,

    This post just made me cry! How wonderful to have that taken care of. I'm praising God for this precious way He cared for you.

    Love you,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete