August 22, 2012

"The big "C"...Chemo!"

I know cancer is supposed to have the honorary title of the "The Big C" but I am reassigning that moniker to chemo instead. I met with my medical oncologist for the first time and I kind of expected a mad scientist with crazy white hair ready to mix up some stinking toxic potion (possibly in a cauldron)! While a little of that toxic part might be true, he was nothing like that! He seemed smart, capable and compassionate (except for when he said I couldn't keep my hair)!

We don't have a complete plan yet. I have to see him again in two weeks. In the meantime, I will be getting a PET scan, a MUGA scan and some more lab work. The MUGA scan takes a look at the health of your heart (because some - one in particular - chemo drugs can be hard on the heart).

It looks like I'll be starting the treatments in early to mid-September and I can plan on dedicating about five months of my life to it. I'll know more after "chemo class" which comes before treatments start. I hope I earn a good grade! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hope you get a "A" on your chemo class. And I hear they make some really stylin' wigs. *thumbs up*
    I have a friend who went through all this a year ago and she said that ginger helped her with the nausea. Thought I'd pass it on. ;)
    And yes I am going to be getting radiation...once a day, 5 times a week for 6 weeks. I am sooooo looking forward to having a boob with a permanent tan. Either that or it'll be glowing in the dark! LOL!
    Am getting an appointment set up for a CT simulation next week. Will probably be starting sometime the week after. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg - just think how easy it would be to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night if it glows! ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL! Too true! :D

      If your interested my daughter helped me set up a public FaceBook page where I could post all my updates. I spent 2 hours yesterday collecting all my various scattered posts and putting them there. I realized while collecting my bits of scattered thoughts, that this has been a rather interesting journey so far. Hmmm.

      https://www.facebook.com/HelpMegBeatBreastCancer?notif_t=page_new_likes

      Delete