August 17, 2012

"PET Scan...Has Nothing To Do With Our Cat"

Nice Nurse Nancy called today to let me know that my "case" had been presented by my surgeon at the cancer center's multi-disciplinary conference. This is when everyone (from pathologists and oncologists to radiologists and surgeons) come together to discuss the patients under their care. It is nice to know that everyone gets on the same page and doesn't just read a chart!

The medical oncologist I will see for the first time next week was there and said he wanted a PET scan ordered to check for metastasis. This is when cancer sneaks away from the tumor and decides to go hang out somewhere else in your body, not a good deal! Nurse Nancy assured me it wasn't because he thought this would be the case, but rather because my tumor was aggressive and because of my young age.

So, once again I have another trip to the cancer center on my calendar and a reminder that I'm not even close to being done with all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment