September 9, 2012

"Dancing with the Red Devil"

When the course of chemotherapy drugs you are prescribed is nicknamed the "Red Devil" that does not inspire excitement about getting started! The first six cycles will include the drugs Adriamycin (Doxorubicin) and Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide) also called "AC" for short. This is not an uncommon regimen for people with breast cancer.

It is the Adriamycin that is the "Red Devil" and I'm not sure why other than it is red in color, it burns if it touches the skin (which it shouldn't do), and has a list of "possible" side effects so long you'd need a scroll to write them all out. Of course, all the drugs have this side effect laundry list.

The likelihood of having no side effects isn't great, but the possibility of having many is also slim. I know there will be some, but which ones? Well, we know I'll be going bald so count that as one! Everything else is uncertain. So, I plan to dance with the Red Devil with my tap shoes on (because that seems positive)! Also, those little pieces of metal on the bottom might help me kick the crap out of it before it kicks the crap out of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment