July 22, 2012

"Support Groups are for Sissies, Right?"

'Hello, my name is Jennifer and I have breast cancer.' I waited for the applause or maybe the supportive murmurs. Okay, that isn't what really happened, but it might have been what I was expecting! I wasn't sure what I was walking into when I decided I would show up for the local breast cancer support group.

I had been reading books and articles about breast cancer and what to expect. Many extolled the virtues of the support group. One line stuck right out...many who would benefit the most from a support group never seek one out. OH! What if that is me? That's it, I better find one! I hoped that didn't make me weak or needy, but I thought I'd just see what it was like and go from there.

What I found was a group of ladies who had "been there, done that" and were willing to spend their own time to guide and support newbies like me. I also met another newbie who was just one year my junior. We even have the same surgeon. I hope we'll be able to help each other too.

When they passed around a sign-in sheet, I wrote my name and noticed everyone had checked the box under "cancer survivor." I hesitated and it was noticed. I was told "you are surviving it now, that makes you a survivor." I checked the box!

Not a sissy in the bunch, only survivors!

No comments:

Post a Comment