July 14, 2012

"Nurses on Parade"

Two days after "D-day" I'm back in the parking lot of the cancer center. This time, I'm sure there was no design flaw, but I hate seeing that word (and it is so big on the side of the building)! I'm here to meet my surgical oncologist (fancy word for someone who does cancer surgery). My husband is with me and I'm a ball of nerves!

That's when the parade starts. The nicest nurse ever collects me from the waiting room, then another nurse comes in the room to introduce herself and when she leaves I see another! At the end of my appointment one of them saddles me with a bag, a file folder system for me to use, a book, pamphlets and business cards. Then she opens her arms and says "we are huggers here." As I let her hug me, she tells me that I've gained a new family whether I wanted one or not! I'm not sure if I want to smile or cry. I think I did both.

No comments:

Post a Comment