July 23, 2012

"Pink Ribbon Weirdness"

Forget about painting the town red. We all know that come October the stores will be coated in pink. I was personally feeling pink ribbon fatigue last fall. I mean how many cups, mugs notepads, pens, magnets, car flags, kitchen accessories, shirts, flip-flips, hats, baby diapers (okay maybe not diapers, but it wouldn't surprise me) do we need?

I get what it is all about and boy do I really get it now! I was at the grocery store the other day and I was stopped in my tracks by a display of pink ribbon items (from note cards to t-shirts). I felt compelled to look at it, but I didn't feel anything else. I just felt weird. This stuff means me now, right? I can't grasp that.

Last year, the final straw happened during a football game. My husband was astonished! The NFL players were wearing pink, yes PINK cleats during the game for breast cancer awareness. That's it, he told me, it has just gone too far! This year, he has already decided he can't wait to see the pink cleats. He has no problem with them at all! For me, I can't decide. It just feels...weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment