July 13, 2012

"Medical Mumbo Jumbo"

After wading through the big words on the surgical pathology report, I saw some easy ones that I didn't like, such as "poorly" and "unfavorable."

The phrase I understood was "Invasive Ductal Carcinoma." That is the most common type of breast cancer. It starts in the ducts and then spreads to surrounding tissue. I did not like the word "invasive."

The word "poorly" was in reference to my cells. They are either well-differentiated (which is apparently best), moderately-differentiated or poorly-differentiated (which is the least favorable type). It also stated "unfavorable nuclear grade." I found out that basically means the nucleus doesn't look good and is a grade 3 (on a scale of 1 to 3). This has to do with the aggressiveness of the cancer. I can't say any of this seemed like a bright spot to me at the time.

My Dad showed the report to a pathologist friend of his at work. He handed it back to my Dad and said "This is very bad, but at least it is treatable." I didn't like the first part of that sentence, but the last three words started to make things look a little brighter.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer - I so appreciate you letting us go on this journey with you. Knowledge is power and in this case it is the power that fuels my prayers for you. Just think - If Becky were here you would have another medical advocate to translate stuff for you! She would be up all hours of the night scouring the net for answers. Hang in there and know that you have a bunch of us who love you and are praying for you constantly!

    ReplyDelete